Calit2’s 10th Anniversary

On Dec. 7, the California Institute for Telecommunications and Information Technology (Calit2) gathered to celebrate its 10th anniversary. Calit2 has been a major player in merging the arts and sciences — developing innovative technology, bridging the gap between the virtual and the physical and building partnerships with nationally recognized companies, such as Qualcomm and National geographic.
Calit2 began in Atkinson Hall under Robert Conn, the dean of the Jacobs School of Engineering. The department’s research is
focused around energy, environment, health and culture. According to Director Larry Smarr, Calit2 “represents a new mechanism to address large-scale societal issues by bringing together multidisciplinary teams of the best minds.” Recently, Calit2 has been grabbing headlines for the controversial Bible-research conducted by Thomas Levy in Jordon, and the search for the Leonardo Da Vinci mural — the Battle of Anghiari — headed up by Maurizio Seracini.
The day’s festivities began at 10 a.m. and ran until 10:30 p.m, in conjunction with UC Irvine’s Calit2 program. Over 600 people attended the full-day event, including keynote speaker former California Governor Gray Davis, who is a major driving force behind the funding and overall success of the program, insisting that Calit2 receive all the funding from the state that it required. Other speakers included neuroscientist Maryann Martone and Levy. Participants were also treated to live music performances, symposiums, a walk-through the StarCAVE and a luncheon.